Fall 2015 Newsletter

It's back to school time.  My children are all grown, but two did start back to college this fall and are adjusting to the new schedule.  As a child I always looked forward to and dreaded back to school time all at once.   I wish all the children a wonderful school year- the same I wish for all the teachers. : )

We have three new therapists that have joined us over the past summer.  Natalie Eddy, Rebecca Whiting and Danielle Sectzer-Wagner.   Natalie and Rebecca will be working out of West Bend and Cedarburg offices and Danielle will only be at the Cedarburg office.  All three therapists see children, adults and families.  They can reached by email or phone; their information is on our website www.kettlemorainecounseling

Lester Menke is now with us full time.  He sees adolescents, adults and couples  lester@kettlemorainecounseling.com or 262.219.2983  Lester is very skilled at anger management and couples' issues.  He is also able to develop a good connection with teens.

The staff at our clinic are dedicated to serving community needs and that is why we still take Badgercare and Medicaid and will continue to do so.  We feel that all people deserve good quality mental health care.

We have openings for referrals, and we greatly appreciate our referral sources!  262.334.4340

I recently went to some training on our "gut" and how it communicates with the brain and all other parts of our body.  It was interesting and I think it will be one of the new frontiers for mental health care in the future.  For now I am getting "good bacteria" in my body as much as possible: yogurt, sauerkraut, limit sugar etc.  Being German, we grew up with a lot of sauerkraut; my husband does not like it, though he loves cabbage and coleslaw.  There is some evidence that taking probiotics will help with mood and anxiety issues.  I look forward to more science coming out of this!

We don't have any groups going on right now, but will again in Winter/Spring.  If there are some groups that you wish we had going, please let me know and maybe we can accommodate.

I have included some warning signs about a potential abusive relationship.  Emotional abuse is much more prevalent and also can be more difficult to pinpoint.  Younger women especially need this information.

Until next time- enjoy the cooler weather and the beautiful leaf show we will have in the next few weeks!

Sign of an emotionally abusive relationship:

1.  The person is insecure, thinks you are cheating, accuses you of cheating (although there is no evidence), looks through your phone often, and generally doesn't trust you (even though there isn't any reason not to).

2.  Wants to know where you are all the time.  You have to be accountable for all your time spent away from each other.

3.  There is usually a double standard.  What one person can do the other cannot, and there are LOTS of excuses about that is needed.

4.  They put you down verbally or insinuate you are not good enough.

5.  They don't want you talking to anyone about the relationship.   There are lots of secrets to be kept.
Mainly because if others heard what was really going on they would be concerned.

6.  There's a general theme of keeping you isolated from others- friends and family.  And there are usually a lot of excuses for this too.

If you think you may be in an emotionally abusive relationship, do some research, talk to someone you trust, and see a counselor!  It is unlikely the other person will change but there are things that you can do to protect yourself.
______________________________________________________

Naming how you feel is a way to calm the limbic system down and for the prefrontal cortex to be back in charge. Next time you have having strong emotions, take a moment to just name them to yourself and your mind should calm. This is probably why journaling makes us feel so much better when we are done!
______________________________________________________

Excerpt from Bluebeard
As a young woman I encountered many Bluebeards; primarily men that I should have stayed away from. They were slick talkers and wanted (or demanded) more from me than I had to give. I would talk myself into that they were really OK, misunderstood, had a bad childhood, just need a break, etc. All lies I told myself in order to override my gut. I had some unmet and unaware needs that I was trying to get met through them, but little did I know in my naivete that they would never be able to meet my needs; in fact my needs weren’t on their radars at all!

I have encountered fewer Bluebeards as I have gotten older. But when I do encounter Bluebeard now, he is mostly in the form on an internal predator. He is the thoughts I tell myself, that I will not be successful, I don’t have anything interesting to say, that I am not good enough. Internal predators are more debilitating than external: we believe our own thoughts and seldom challenge if they are true. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 2011 Newsletter!

It’s been a while….

Passive Agressive