Are women more vulnerable than men?


This interesting topic came up this past weekend between me and my teenage daughter. She was irritated because a male friend was insinuating that she was so emotionally vulnerable, when she insists she does not feel that way.

I do think most women are physically more vulnerable then men- my husband never feels physically threatened or worried that he could not take care of himself. But me, I feel physically vulnerable fairly often, and I have felt that way my whole life at different times.

Women may be more emotionally vulnerable than men because relationships are very important to us, and if a relationship is threatened in some way, it may bother us more. I say may, because I am not convinced that men don't care as much about relationships as we do, but that is the current state of research :)
One of the ways that I think men are more vulnerable than women is that it can be more difficult for them to develop close emotional relationships and when they need support, they have fewer places to turn. Having good support in our lives makes our journey and pain so much easier, and fun! In my family, as in many, my husband gets most of his support from me, whereas I have a few more places to turn to besides him. I think this is one of the reason that men who lose their spouse tend to struggle more than women who lose a spouse; our circle is wider.

So, since we tend to be better at giving and receiving emotional support, maybe men are more vulnerable of the two?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 2011 Newsletter!

It’s been a while….

Passive Agressive