Dog sitting

I feel like I am ready to get another dog, after the death of our beloved 12 year old golden retriever Lucky in April, but the rest of my family is not ready. In fact, my husband has said that if I get a dog he will resent it- not a good way to start off with a new member to the family!

I miss animal energy in the house. Feeding leftovers, taking walks and feeling protected at night. The tap tap tap of toenails on the wood floors. The unconditional love.

This week I get to watch my brother’s family’s golden retriever, Ingrid, and this is our first morning together. She is old too, like Lucky was, but in much better shape physically, though she is a little chubby. She is at the cabin with me, and she is getting braver and increasing her exploring distance from me, but she also knows where I am at each moment. Her hearing is poor, but her sense of smell is working overtime- there are a lot of animals in the forest, and she is picking up on many of their scents.

I want to shave her because her dog hair is going everywhere, but I was given firm instructions to not do that! We are bonding over left over chicken. Soon we will take a walk together. It’s been a long time since I have walked with a dog at the cabin. We may go swimming later. My nephew brought Ingrid’s life vest with- I didn’t even know dogs have life vests! Aren’t most natural swimmers?

It is good to have an animal in the house again, even if it is only temporary. And, who knows, maybe, being around Ingrid will get my family to change their minds about our next pet!

Comments

Anonymous said…
hahah i loved this!! i miss ingrid. thank you for taking care of her! --- katie
Devona Marshall said…
Katie, She is great. We love her. She tried to get home today, so I think she misses her family, but I am glad I got someone to sleep with tonight!

Popular posts from this blog

November 2011 Newsletter!

It’s been a while….

Passive Agressive