Transitions, transitions, transitions




It sure seems as though life keeps changing and I am experiencing transition after transition.  Mid-life brings some good and some difficult challenges;  there are family changes, physical changes, and career changes all hitting around the same time.  Yikes!!

Peri- menopause has not been a cake walk.  It feels like I have more hormonal changes than when I was in puberty!  Most days I have been able to stay emotionally balanced, but I credit that to daily exercise and meditation.  I can't handle heat like I used to and sleep can be difficult with the occasional hot flash.  My body doesn't heal as fast; I recently fell off my bike and it took weeks for  the aching to stop.

I am not having career changes right now, but I see people around me who are looking for work that is more meaningful to them.  I do find meaning in my work and I feel blessed for that.  We don't want to work as many hours, we want more balance and more control over our time- all very positive things!

Family changes are what has given me the most pause.  We are down to one child in the home and she is in college.  Not having my primary activity in life be mothering feels strange.  Each time a child leaves home I feel bereft and have to adjust, which takes me a long time!  I have more time with my husband, and we have never had much alone time together because we had children very young.  So I am learning to be a "couple" instead of a "family", and it's been a little rocky emotionally for me.  What I hear and see from people who are on the other side of this is that life is great!  They feel more alive and spend time on interests they have but never had time for.  I look for role models of others who have gone before me to know that it will be ok, and perhaps even better in some ways.

I will keep marching on though, facing my fears of getting older and my changing family.   One of the ways I hope to get closer as a couple is by traveling together; we have not done a lot of traveling together, I usually travel to Central or South America with my sisters, but this year it will be me and my husband heading to Guatemala.   I am sure it will be an adventure!




Comments

Deb said…
For me, I feel that the transition has been scary, as well as a sense of freedom. As my children grow I find my relationship with them shifting, as they see their part in the greater scheme of life. And the grandchildren - what joy! So, lots of pluses to look forward to.
Deb said…
For me, I feel that the transition has been scary, as well as a sense of freedom. As my children grow I find my relationship with them shifting, as they see their part in the greater scheme of life. And the grandchildren - what joy! So, lots of pluses to look forward to.
windjreamer said…
I find myself more and more afraid of the future...

Popular posts from this blog

November 2011 Newsletter!

It’s been a while….

Passive Agressive