Solstice




I am sitting here watching the sun fade away on the shortest day of the year.  It’s a brilliant red, and the sky was clear most of the day. Little wind, and about 2 feet of snow on the ground made this day feel magical.  The puppy and I took a long walk, and it was so quiet and still out that I had time and space to reflect and be present with the trees and the blue sky.

Watching the sun set, I wanted to hit the pause button- how foolish and how modern!  I must be watching too much TV lately. Although we can take pauses in our lives, and I need these frequently, we cannot pause life itself, it keeps flowing and moving.  The wisdom of the sun and the moon teaches us about seasons and cycles; it's comforting to know the light is now getting longer each day. The darkness has it’s own wisdom and dare I say comfort in it also.  When it’s dark, it’s time for rest, to slow down, and reflect on where we are, what’s working in our lives and what needs to change. I tend to sleep better in winter do to the increase in darkness, and I feel rested in a way I often do not in the energetic summer months.

As far as the solar calendar winter starts today, but winter has been in Wisconsin for quite some time.   And spring doesn’t really come on March 21 in Wisconsin. The sun’s cycles may not synchronize completely with our seasons here in the North, but it is the more reliable cycle (along with the moon).  

Tonight as I light a candle and pause, I will reflect on the past year.  What was hard for me? What do I want to let go of? Where was I not successful, where did I fall short of being the person I want to be?  Tonight I will be embracing the darkness and for the next 11 days until the New Year, I will reflect on the darkness and what gifts and teachings it has for us.

The new year will bring a freshness, intentions and possibilities!



But tonight, I go within, I release, and I am not afraid to turn towards the dark.


One may not reach the dawn save by the path of the night.         Khalil Gibran
`

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 2011 Newsletter!

It’s been a while….

Remembering My Mother