Looking for the positive, even when it's difficult

My very athletic son is having some serious knee surgeries. He has missed two years of high school sports and may miss his last season also. He has been taking it fairly well. It has been so hard to see him in emotional and physical pain. I had to work with myself to see the "silver lining" in this. First off, he should (!) have his knee issues resolved and should (!) be able to live a very active life into his adulthood. Second, it's taught him that life can throw you curveballs, and it's up to us how we respond to it. My hope is that he becomes more resilient from this experience- I know I have. As parents we naturally want to keep our children from pain and dissappointments. Ah, but they learn and grow so much from those difficult situations! Adaptation and resiliency are two very positive things that can come from adversities. If you look for it, you will find it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 2011 Newsletter!

It’s been a while….

Passive Agressive