Unfulfilled dreams

As a young girl I wanted to be a veterinarian, then a singer, but by high school I was stumped. Career testing was somewhat helpful, but I didn't really understand it or what it meant for me. And most importantly, I didn't have good female role models who had careers they enjoyed.

I see dreams change for my children as they get older, and I think that it is a "maturing", but it makes me feel a little sad also. My oldest wanted to be a model and moved to NYC partly for the reason, but it hasn't developed as he would have liked and is now going to go back to college. My other son loves sports- and had dreams of playing professionally (whether realistic or not), but those dreams are now gone for him, and he is looking into technical school programs.

I am sure this is the natural process of coming to grips with our limitations and our strengths, but I can see the disappointment in them at times and it hurts.

Can these other paths they take be really good for them? Absolutely! But I think it will take a little bit for them (and me!) to wrap our minds around it.

It still can and will be a good life, even if it's not how we had planned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 2011 Newsletter!

It’s been a while….

Passive Agressive