Building and tearing down walls

"I built a wall and I don't know how to take it down". So many of us protect ourselves by putting walls up from our loved ones, and then we feel disconnected, unloved, no spark, and lonely.

I understand walls well because I have built my fair share of them. And I know the walls keep us separated from others, and it can be so hard to trust so that our walls can come down.

But in order to be close, the wall has to be penetrated. First off you must trust in yourself enough to know you can handle the wall coming down (at least part way). You must trust that you will be able to care for yourself without the wall.

And know that most people do not intentionally hurt us. We are all wounded, and we trigger each other's wounds when we are in a close relationship.

Acknowledge your wounding and talk about it, maybe not with your partner, but with someone else who can listen and validate the feelings. Journal it, sing it, draw it-anything that allows you to express the hurt and sadness!

And slowly let the wall come down and let the other in....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 2011 Newsletter!

It’s been a while….

Passive Agressive