Kindness



Being human is difficult.  We all have our challenges and difficulties, even those who look like they have perfect lives.  We all want to feel loved an accepted for who we are, and that is is in short supply for many of us.  So often we think that others have it easier or better than us, when the truth is that we all part of the human experience which includes praise and blame, recognition and disregard, gain and loss, pleasure and pain.   How others see us, usually has little to do with whom we actually are, and more to do with their experiences and wounds.

 For example, a few years ago, I had a coworker that I idolized, I thought he knew everything and was so smart.  I defended him to others even when he was not very kind to them.    Then a few years later, I thought the same person was terrible; and I  thought he was not good at his job and was mean to others.  I discounted what he said, and rejected most of his knowledge, even if it was helpful.    In both cases, it was my wounds that I was projecting onto him.  He was a  human with negative and positive attributes as the rest of us, and it was me who could not see this.  I wanted/needed someone who was all good, and when he wasn't, he turned all bad in my mind.  As I get older, I see how we all have negative and positive qualities, and depending upon the day, I can work with that better.



When my oldest son was in 1st grade, I really liked his young teacher.  Every morning she had the class sing the song 'Put a little love in your heart' and they had hand motions with each of the verses.  I think of her and this morning routine often.  What a great way to start the class; we all could use to put a little love in our hearts each day.  More compassion for ourselves (usually very difficult) and for others, is what all of us and the world needs.

I challenge myself each day, to act from kindness with others, and often I am successful, and at times I am not, but I am getting better each day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 2011 Newsletter!

It’s been a while….

Passive Agressive